Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, January 29, 2014


 “Happy Birthday, Mom”


The woman who gave me life was born January 29. Today I will celebrate Mom's birthday with a recent example of how she helped set me more free to soar.

 

A few weeks ago I visited my parents. In reminiscing about my childhood, a story came up that happened in the first grade. I wanted to take a public library book to school so the teacher could read it at story time. Mom was concerned I might lose the library book at school. But I promised to bring it home, so she said yes.

Mrs. Anderson ended our day by reading my borrowed book. Then my teacher closed it and told the class to line up. When we stood single file, she told us not to move while she stepped into the hall for a moment. Then Mrs. Anderson carried my book to the other side of the room, set it on the bookshelf, and left.

I turned pale. What now? Obey Mom and disobey my teacher? Obey my teacher and disobey Mom? No matter what I did, one of them wouldn’t like it.

My stomach churned on the bus ride home. When Mom asked about the book, my face told her before my voice did. Softly she said, “You forgot it, didn’t you?” My chin dropped to my chest. I wanted to explain why the book was still at school. Under the circumstances, I couldn’t obey both my mother and my teacher.

But no words came. An invisible hand covered my mouth and left Mom to assume why I failed to keep my promise. Meanwhile, a harsh thought attacked my mind. “Your mother expected you to forget that book. She just knew you were going to leave it at school. She doesn’t think you can do anything right.”

At age six I had no clue what spiritual warfare is. Shame invaded my spirit that day and laid the block for a massive stronghold. Only through adult eyes can I see how many times the adversary twisted my experiences to build his demonic stronghold. It wasn’t my mother’s fault I grew up believing the diabolical lie that anything less than superior results proved I was a failure. The fear of disapproval, especially from God, haunted me every step.

The Key is John 8:32


Jesus said we will know the truth, and the truth will set us free.

Mom replied, “I remember that. I thought I let you off easy. I didn’t raise my voice or punish you. I just said, ‘You forgot it, didn’t you?’ and moved on. My intent was to extend grace.” She also affirmed her pride in me since birth.

Satan is a thief. He comes to kill, steal, destroy (John 10:10a). In hindsight I see how often the devil intercepted words spoken by my family, friends, and others. Words intended as grace or mercy. Words the devil twisted into malware which infected my internal hard drive for years.

I’m thankful God spoke the truth through Mom to redeem that painful memory. In isolation, that first grade episode may not seem like a big deal to the average person. But when seen as the foundation of future lies I unwittingly swallowed, I'm grateful God used a retired school teacher to grant her middle-aged son a tremendous blessing.


I'll close by highlighting three of Shirley Brannock's greatest accomplishments: 
1.   In June she will mark 53 years of faithful marriage to my father Bill.
2.  She instilled in their three boys the value of reading, music, and education.
3.   She and Dad raised all three sons to know Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. 

 And that's the truth.

David

2 comments:

  1. And may I add, your Mom was a fabulous 4th grade teacher. I enjoyed that grade more than any other. (possibly because I beat you in a spelling bee???)
    Happy Belated Birthday Mrs. Brannock.. Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paige. I will pass along your compliment. She'll appreciate hearing that. And yes, you beat me in the spelling bee. But I still say that Fido can be spelled Phyedeaux.

    ReplyDelete