Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

“Why Didn’t You Say No?”


Have You Subscribed?

I won’t keep clogging the Facebook feed each week with a link to this blog. If you haven’t done so already, I invite you to the sidebar. Under “Follow By Email” submit your email address to receive future posts in your inbox. I appreciate your support.  

A Closer Look


Last week I explained why I left vocational ministry:
3. Too much undeserved criticism.
2. Too few healthy limits for myself.
1. To fulfill my true purpose; God's original call was to serve outside the church.

After I left, friends said, “You should've said no more often." I heard their care and concern. Actually, many times I said no, but I always wondered who'd get upset -- and how much. Remember, no standards exist to define when a preacher has done enough.

The "Take Care of Us" Pasture

In a recent Zits comic strip, Jeremy tells his friend Pierce, “My parents are on a new budget. I think it’s a good thing for my family to cut back on expenses…as long as it doesn’t affect me.”

The average believer doesn't set out to place the last straw of expectation that breaks the pastor's back. Sheep typically aren't out to destroy their shepherd. Still, the "take care of us" pasture most flocks graze in leads many parishioners to act like Jeremy. “My minister is on a new schedule. I think it’s a good thing for the preacher to cut back on work…as long as it doesn’t affect me.”

One Saturday night I ended a marathon week with a killer headache. I had a choice: stay home and rest to be ready to preach the next morning; or go into town to attend a function involving one active family who always sent me cards for Christmas, birthday, and Pastor Appreciation. They were counting on me to show up to support them. But that night, self-care took priority.  

The bad timing wasn’t their fault. The lambasting headache wasn't my fault. Problem solved, right?


Setting limits as a minister isn’t like saying no to a telemarketer. I can turn away a sales pitch without a backlash. But when I said no to work and yes to myself, I paid dearly.

After my Sunday obligations, I called the family to follow up. They were so frosty over the phone that it took a home visit to mend the fence. I spent more effort with the aftermath than if I'd crawled off the couch and gone. They knew I'd served a slew of other congregants that week and were miffed I didn't serve them too with my presence.

Today when I tell my senior minister to take care of himself, I don't add an unspoken, “…as long as you care for me first.” If the preacher can miss contacting others in order to practice self-care, why can't he miss contacting me sometimes? Why should I be dissatisfied with calls and visits by other Christians unless the pastor also comes?

The New Testament never portrays godly congregations as being religious consumers who are entitled to around-the-clock chaplaincy from one soul. I hold in high regard those laity and clergy who see the human leader of the church as a person, not as the Trinity-on-Demand. 

Balance. Everyone says it's a good thing. But I find balance to be an elusive target. No two people agree on its location or its timing.

So, either we grow in our current situation, or we change situations so we can grow. In the end, I saw only one good choice: the one that set me free to soar.

David

12 comments:

  1. At one of His busiest times Jesus quietly disappeared to spend time in conversation with His Father in prayer. The disciples of course didn't like it. If Jesus could pull away for time for Himself to get recharged...then I suggest that so can pastors! The pastor too busy to pray is too busy. The sad thing about your writings is the fact that it could be the majority of pastors writing the very same words.

    Thanks David and have a blessed day.

    Rev-Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roy. Without clear guidelines, each day was filled with decisions. Do I say yes because I've been called to give myself sacrificially? Or do I say no because that task is not mine to do? Do I say yes because my role is to lead and serve? Or do I say no because setting limits is part of self-care? When do I say yes? When do I say no? As a former accountant, I needed clear guidelines, and pastoring a church was like being air-dropped into the middle of a jungle without a map or a compass. All those constant decisions wore me out. God bless those who are truly called to lead a church.

      Delete
  2. Blessings on you, David. And thanks for taking the time to post about your experiences. You are practicing a means of grace here, and it's edifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, I appreciate that. Now that I'm outside the system and can reflect on it more objectively, I hope the questions I raise and the experiences I share can benefit clergy and laity who seek to be faithful in being the church.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI to my readers, I didn't delete a comment, I just moved my reply to Roy Corbin under his name.

      Delete
  4. "Trinity on Demand" - I love that, David! You make a great point here. That "keep serving me" mentality is far to prevalent in churches. I'm constantly amazed at the requests people make of their pastor and staff. You're shedding light on an important issue. SHINE ON

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciate the feedback, Susan. Guess all those "Xfinity on Demand" commercials influenced my word choice there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish more pastors realized the trap of our temple model of religion they are in, and set themselves free to soar as well, David. Well said, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mike. Like you say in your books, Jesus didn't burn a lot of energy trying to fix what was wrong in the temple system. Instead, Jesus focused His time outside the temple system. Jesus focused on training the disciples to do ministry a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David
    On reading this it made me think of what my hair dresser told me the other day. She had a very bad cold but still came to work, thinking of those who had made an appointment (she's very popular and stays booked) and were counting on her. All of her clients told her, "honey, you need to rest up - you should go home! (after you finish MY hair was the unspoken end to their sentences.) How often we tend to put others desires ahead of our own health (physical and/or mental). (I'm right there with you as an original people pleaser:). I'm glad you had the courage to do what you needed to do, taking care of yourself and your family. Only then, are you able to truly be there for others. All the best to you, your blog and family in 2014. Paige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige, I appreciate the helpful feedback. If we end up imploding or exploding, how much help can we be to others? It's sad that a selfish attitude leads people to act as if they don't care if we explode or implode someday as long as it doesn't happen until after we take care of them first.

      Delete