Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

“Lifting Off”

Welcome to the launch!

Jesus said, “Then you will know the truth,
and the truth will set you free.”
John 8:32

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Freedom
Freedom. It’s not just a rallying cry on the lips of battlefield heroes like William Wallace. On Good Friday and Easter, Jesus proved freedom is worth dying for so we can be set free to live the life God intends. Jesus came to free us to become the unique person God created us to be.

After years of bondage to generational sin and toxic systems, God has set me free to soar. Over the past couple of years the Father has orchestrated significant change. The Holy Spirit has made major midlife adjustments in how I relate to my family, the church, and myself. Following Jesus is not for wimps, but it sure is worth the adventure to mount up with wings like eagles.

The transition has been intensely personal, often painful, but deeply gratifying.

Now I’m free to live a balanced life. I’m free to focus on using my gifts and passion, not on trying (and failing) to satisfy the demands and expectations of others. I’m free to serve Christ because I can, not because I must.

My life’s not perfect, never will be until heaven. Lingering wounds need more healing. And as a textbook middle child (translation: peacemaker/unifier), I’m a work in progress on being at peace with serving from my strengths instead of striving to please others. Still, the Lord has set me free of those things that for years rendered me barely able to walk and not be faint, much less run and not grow weary.

What Can You Expect?
Your time is valuable, so I plan to post about 500-600 words each Wednesday.

Jesus offers abundant life (John 10:10). May my thoughts and experiences encourage you on your journey. The Lord will help you break free of your chains so you can fly with the rugged power and easy grace of an eagle.  

Next week I'll begin sharing why I left church ministry (but not the church OR ministry) to be faithful to God's call. 

If you’re inspired to comment on something I write, where do you agree? If you disagree, why? (Be kind!) What strikes a chord or a nerve? How can we help one other attain greater freedom in the Lord?

A Prayer for the New Year
May this prayer by Thomas Merton (1915-1968) bless you during 2014.

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not know the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
  and the fact that I think I am following your will
  does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you
  does in fact, please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
  though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore, I will trust you always,
  though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,

  and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

David

14 comments:

  1. Happy to join you on the journey! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I'm grateful for all your help and support.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, David. I am so happy for you and looking forward to our Wednesday "meetings" LOL. Thank you for this beautiful New Year's prayer. Blessings to you always...........susan stokeley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Susan. I love that prayer and wanted to share it with everyone who took the time to read my post.

      Delete
  3. Mac and I intensely admire your willingness to share your personal faith journey and the courage you have in breaking out of the mold of traditional roles that typically definie church & ministry. Mac says, "You've found your sweet spot"! I look forward to your post and going along with you. I pray for your continued inspiration and for my own renewal. Mac & Mary Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your affirmation. I feel more energized and less frustrated than when I was trying to play a role I wasn't designed to play and never wanted to play. Unrealistic expectations from self and others carried too much weight for too long. I hope the lessons I learned the hard way can help others on their journey.

      Delete
  4. ...the desire to please you, really does please you. I love that thought, David. I can't fully obey God, but the fact that I truely want to pleases him. Amazing grace! Talk to you in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you found the prayer meaningful, Sherry. It really spoke to me when I first saw it and it fit perfectly as we begin 2014. Talk to you on the 14th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to your weekly posts-Thank you for sharing your candid heartfelt thoughts-I dare say your "ministry" may be more powerful in the long! Good thing you left full time ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Michael. I look forward to discovering how God wants to use me from this point on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an inspiration you already are. Courage is in short supply these days and yours shows a deep connection to God that I desire to emulate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate that. It took years for me to get to this point, and I had a lot of help along the way. My aim is to help others in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. David, following Jesus isn't for wimps. I'm looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Edie. Jesus said the way is narrow instead of wide for a reason.

      Delete