Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

“Into a Spacious Place”

From Salvation to Spacious
Jesus blessed me with salvation years ago. I’ve experienced God’s power many times since. But the reality is, believers can hold a ticket to heaven in their pocket and still be bound by deceptive falsehood and generational sin.

It happened to me.

For years I served Jesus confined by the (often unreasonable) expectations of others. Inside my cell, the leg-irons of self-imposed super high expectations further hindered my walk with Christ. At midlife I discovered that all along I could access the key to my release. Knowing the truth led me to unlock the shackles, open the door, and walk to freedom.

He brought me out into a spacious place;
he rescued me because he delighted in me.
(Psalm 18:19 and II Samuel 22:20, NIV)

You...have set my feet in a spacious place. (Psalm 31:8, NIV)

I like living in a broad place though I haven’t been on a payroll since June 2012. I don’t know when I’ll earn my next dollar. But in Christ I’ve never been richer or freer.


One Step Up, Three Steps Back
Before I quit church ministry (but not the church or ministry), I suffered chest pains every day for 18 months. Stress tests found nothing wrong with my heart. Yet in December 2011, various professionals at the Davidson Centre warned me I was on the verge of hospitalization.[i] Depression and anxiety pushed me to the edge of burnout. My response to 20 years in the United Methodist Church (UMC) clergy system led my family physician to suggest finding a healthier way to serve God.

In January 2012 I took a 2-month sabbatical (“spiritual and formational growth leave” so I still got paid), during which I decided to leave the pulpit permanently in June. I preached my last sermon on Father’s Day and started an unpaid leave.

A month later, the years of missed Sabbaths and my perfectionist tendencies exacted another toll. The prediction of the Davidson professionals came true. In July 2012 I was admitted to the hospital.

An invisible rope looped around my chest and each end played tug-of-war for 19 hours. “Am I dying?” I wondered at 2 a.m. in my hospital bed. Nitroglycerine in the ER not only failed to ease the tightness, it added a killer headache to my chest pain. The rope let go only after an echocardiogram and a heart catheterization turned out well.

The route to freedom is more like a mountain road than a straight line.


VTP to the Rescue
The UMC’s Voluntary Transition Program began January 1, 2013, to offer clergy a graceful way to change vocations, to exit ordained ministry. Last spring I jumped at the VTP when I learned of it. After 10 months on leave, I became the first United Methodist clergy in the world to sign up.

The VTP helped shift my ministry from the pulpit back to the pew. I lived as a disciple long before the bishop laid hands on me; through baptism, all Christians are commissioned for ministry in the priesthood of all believers. God used VTP benefits to enlarge my spacious place through a severance payment, help with moving expenses, and career counseling.

I turned in my clergy credentials on April 23, 2013. I drove home sad, but free. I was no longer the minister, pastor, preacher, reverend. Yet I remained what matters most: a child of God. 


[i] The Davidson Centre for the Professions offers on-site renewal programs for ministry, medicine, law, and public service. See www.davcp.com.


David

17 comments:

  1. I started reading this and the hymn "And Can It Be" came to mind. Your chains fell off, your heart was (is) free, You rose, went forth, and followed He (I know it should be Him, but He rhymed). Enjoy the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great image, Tina. Thanks for making the connection with the hymn.

      Delete
  2. Really glad to read your blog posts, David! My first thought when I saw your picture was 'He looks really happy!" and I can see why after reading the notes from your heart. Would love to have coffee with you and M.E. to catch up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find them meaningful, Peggy. I am happier now that I'm doing more of what God made me to do and less of what others want me to do. Would be great to catch up sometime. I still remember your beautiful prayers at staff meeting.

      Delete
  3. Thank you David. A real blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I still miss you being my pastor, but, am happy that you are now doing something which makes you happy. Thanks for always being the best you could be even through the chest pains and other problems you were experiencing. God loves you and wants you to realize that you truly can "Fly like an eagle." Best wishes for a great 2014 to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave. The eagle tie you gave me hangs in my study where I can see it everyday. I'm glad we can still be friends and neighbors.

      Delete
  5. David: Although I have only been in the ministry for 8 years, I fully understand you, I fully support and admire your decision and can only imagine the freedom you feel. I can fully attest that being a minister can be confining and stressful. I have a problem with trying to please the "authorities" in the UMC. I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you brothers and sisters who serve Jesus on the front lines, Tom. It's the hardest job in the world. Pastors are always on call but everyone jokes that the minister only works an hour a week.

      Delete
  6. David, we miss you so much and selfishly wish you were still "our pastor". However, as I was reading your entry I realized that you are still our "spiritual leader". Your willingness to share your journey is ministering to us in a powerful way as we all struggle with our own "bumps" in the road of life. Your honesty and courage are an inspiration and an example of the importance of being true to God's purpose for our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweet David, I did not know you were so troubled and conflicted. I still miss you but you made the correct decision for yourself and your family. As Martin Luther King says, "Free at last, thank God I am free at last" from whatever shackles bind you. I am happy God has set you free!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Carolyn. It was a difficult choice but one that had to be made. I'm glad you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited for your blog launch, David. I can see that you're already having an influence! Can't wait to read more of your insights. I have no doubt the Lord will continue to bless you and increase your territory here in this spacious place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I want my life to make a genuine difference in order to glorify Jesus and build up His kingdom.

      Delete
  10. David, I've also fought against the bonds that come with bowing to the expectations of others. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie, my prayer is God will use my mistakes and suffering in a redemptive way.

      Delete