Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

“What Will Be Your Legacy?”


Super Reflections
After Seattle beat Denver 43-8, some fans are questioning Peyton Manning’s legacy. He is a five-time MVP. He set additional NFL records this season. But in the Super Bowl, Peyton is 1-2. Despite elite talent and taking his team to the playoffs annually, #18 has only hoisted the Lombardi trophy once. Younger brother Eli, with less regular season success in his career, has done it twice.

I’m not bashing Manning. He didn’t snap the ball for a safety on his team’s first play. He didn’t give up a kickoff return for a touchdown to start the second half or fail to block Seattle’s defensive line all night. The whole team played flat at the worst time of the year. And Seattle is no cupcake. They earned the right to play in the Super Bowl. Sunday night, they merited a decisive win.


What About Us?
In a culture obsessed with winning, where bottom line results are all that count, #18’s track record will be tainted if he fails to win another Super Bowl before he retires. Crazy, isn’t it? Winning one Super Bowl isn’t enough. A quarterback must do it at least twice to forge the proper legacy.

Some talking heads believe this; I don’t. Does his father Archie deserve less respect just because he never played in a Super Bowl? Whether Peyton wins another title or not, his legacy should be secure.

Set free to soar on my journey, I wonder how this not-yet-published writer will be remembered. I don’t possess Peyton Manning’s name recognition. Most of my town couldn’t pick me out of a lineup. But does this mean I’m a failure just because no one gives money to charity every time I holler, “Omaha!”?

In her recent blog post at “The Write Conversation” (01/24/14), Edie Melson wrote, “Publication isn’t the sole definition of writing success. Touching someone’s life through the words I pen, whether it’s on a blog or a book or an article, is way more important than a book contract.”

I like Edie’s quote. I posted her words near my computer as a reminder about genuine success in the writing world. Of course I want to be published someday. But in the end, the sole indicator of success is neither the number of books published nor the number of Super Bowl wins.
  

One popular definition of success is commonly attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), though Bessie Stanley may have written it in 1905. The quote ends as follows:
To leave the world a bit better,
Whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
Jesus’ definition of success is counter-intuitive. “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:43-45, NIV).

The ultimate prize awaits those who obey Jesus. “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” (Matthew 25:21 and 23, NIV).

Servanthood + Faithfulness with what God has given us
= True success in God’s kingdom.

NFL records and book contracts are good. Super Bowl trophies and best-seller awards are better. But the best legacy of all is to hear Jesus say, “Well done!”

David

11 comments:

  1. Well spoken David. Recently I shared with a Sunday School Class about how I struggled with results in the first years of ministry but was freed from the struggle while in conversation (prayer) with God one day. God asked me why I was so enslaved to results and then freed me by saying, "Roy, your responsibility is to worship Me and be obedient to that which I have called you. Results are My responsibility!" Since that time I have just tried to be faithful and really don't allow myself to get caught up in what others often expect and even sometimes demand of me. Have a "Jesus" day David and I look forward to reading your "published" book someday.

    Rev-Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Roy. In ministry, those who are asked to serve as a District Superintendent or who become the pastor of a large congregation are deemed successful, whereas those who toil in relative obscurity at country circuits their whole career are not. Yet, some of the best people and best pastors I know were not well known, yet I'm sure they pleased God very much by serving obediently where they were placed. Trophies and books will pass away, but Jesus is forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent thoughts! It's been a tough day at the office for me, and your words were encouraging and helpful. Thank you.

    Mark Liebert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mark. I'm thankful God inspired me to write what you needed to hear at the moment you needed to hear it.

      Delete
  5. I know I should just be thankful and happy if my life brought a smile to someone or made them feel loved in some way for the glory of God, but the world continually tells us we all should be super stars. So when that status of being able to say "I am the greatest in all the world" is never met, we are left feeling like a failure. I am so thankful for the reminder in your message. I will never be the best at anything other than being ME...the person God created.
    Mary Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Mary Catherine. First, sometimes God calls us to impact a large number of people, and sometimes God calls us to make a difference to just one soul. Second, God wants us to be the best ME that He created each of us to be. That's hard to do in a copycat world.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I wonder why I can't quite keep up with the blog posts I want to read. This one I know I was meant to read today. The last couple days have been frustrating, wondering If I have any purpose in this winter season of my life. You remind me that God is working out my purpose, in every season. I don't always see it but He does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I'm pleased to know God used me to make a difference this week when you needed it. I wrote this post as much for myself as for anyone else.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, perfect timing for me to read this. I know it's true, and yet I get lost in the "what should I be doing and how should I be balancing" questions and dilemmas. Yes, I am thankful for the network of people, and a new one here and there, who have been helped and blessed along the way. We write b/c we are writers, and our true prize is exactly as you said: to hear "well done" from the only One whose opinion matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you have helped me so many times with your words. As long as Jesus is pleased, that's all that really matters. But it's hard to remember that when the world tries to tell us otherwise.

      Delete