Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

“When God Must Fill Your Mouth”


Speaker’s Block
Last week what I wrote didn’t sound right, so I deleted it rather than post it.

The same principle applies to spoken words. Too often a comment runs from my brain to my tongue before the filter kicks in. Not everything I really want to say should be uttered.

The opposite problem occurs. I stare at an empty screen, fingers frozen on the keyboard. Or I’m dying to think of a good response, but my mental search engine responds, “No results found.”

But when it counts, God will fill your mouth. He did for me.

Jesus’ Promise
When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say (Luke 12:11-12, NIV).

The meeting was crucial. A proposed building project divided the church. Some staunchly opposed it, some passionately favored it, and the rest tiptoed around the domineering personalities in the first two camps.

When I give a talk or report, I prepare as much as possible. I review my notes multiple times. I never “wing it” unless the Spirit prompts me.

But that night, I had no clue what to say. My pad was blank. Five minutes into the meeting, the chairperson called for my report. All eyes locked on me.


I prayed, “Lord, fill my mouth. You’re my only hope.” Then I began to speak.

A Holy Outcome 
To this day I have no idea what I said. Or rather, what God said through me. My mind stayed in neutral while the Spirit used my voice to deliver His message.

Whatever I said turned the tide. My mouth closed to end the pastor’s report, and hope filled the room. Members from all sides nodded in agreement. 

God gave hope that we would make it together if we kept Him front and center.

Have you ever experienced God’s faithfulness to this promise? I invite you to share it.

David

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have, often in a church service when the pastor asks if anyone heard anything from the Lord. Like you said, I pray a quick prayer and then open my mouth. God speaks, then I forget everything :-). Thank you for sharing, this is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool, Mary. I enjoy hearing how other people experience God.

      Delete