Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

“Remember Your Roots”


What Do You Remember?
But as for you,
continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of,
because you know those from whom you learned it,
and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures,
which are able to make you wise for salvation
through faith in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 3:14-15

“Children don’t get anything out of church.” Really? We don’t know what kids may pick up on and remember when they’re adults.

It’s true I can’t recall any of the sermons or anthems I heard as a child. But forty-plus years later, I remember that as a little boy, I enjoyed Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring as the organ prelude. That song always connected me to God. 

What childhood memories do you have about God?

Coming Home
Last weekend I attended my boyhood church’s 70th anniversary celebration. My mother, who sings in the choir, surprised me with a gift. Mom asked the music director to play J.S. Bach’s famous song for the prelude.

As “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” filled the sanctuary, the familiar melody carried me back to my childhood.  

After the service we ate lunch in the fellowship hall. Pictures comprised a 70-year timeline along the walls. The group photo from Vacation Bible School 1972 included my brothers and me.

Who are among those from whom you learned the Holy Scriptures?

Continue In What You Have Learned
I still love Bible stories and Bach’s song on the organ. I also enjoy playing the bass guitar in the worship band and using creative drama to communicate the gospel. Old favorites and new favorites combine to enrich my faith journey.

Every group has strong preferences and valued customs. That’s normal. The key is not to let tradition become traditionalism.

Tradition: the living faith of the dead.

Traditionalism: the dead faith of the living.

What are your old favorites? What are your new favorites?

David

2 comments:

  1. I didn't start going to church until I was 16 and my favorite song was "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." It just blew me away (a 60's term) that Jesus wanted to be my friend.
    As for now, I feel like I'm soaring when I sing "In Christ Alone."
    "There in the ground His body lay
    Light of the world by darkness slain
    Then bursting forth in glorious Day
    Up from the grave He rose again."
    Gives me chills!
    Here's a link to the Newsboys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsgwfliQoqg


    Read more: Newsboys - In Christ Alone Lyrics | MetroLyrics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, it's always interesting to hear what songs touch us most deeply. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete