Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

“The Power of a Question: Part 2”


A Life-Changing Question
Three years ago I fell into a dark pit. My journey out began with a question: What do you want?

Not counting restaurants, birthdays, or Christmas, I couldn't remember the last time anyone asked me this. My life always seemed to revolve around what others wanted from me or for me.

The question left me silent. I could rattle off what I didn’t want but had no answer for what I did want.

Several months later, I quit a role I wasn’t designed to play so I could soar.

Two Others to Ponder
     1. Will you change what you’ve been doing to get different results?

         (from Jeff Goins at GoinsWriter.com, “The Problem with Asking for Advice”)

2. Will you grow into who you want to be, or will you be content to remain who you are?

    (from Eddie Hammett at a recent coaching class)

Are Our Desires Selfish?
When we come to Jesus through faith, we stop living for ourselves and start living for Him (2 Corinthians 5:15). So then, why do I love the question, “What do you want?”?

When the Lord knit me together in my mother’s womb (Psalm 139:13), I believe God tucked certain desires in my heart. My passion for creativity, freedom, and justice reflect my Creator’s nature.

Our desires are selfish when they trump God’s plans and purposes. Sin is when we speak to the Father like a rebellious child. “I don’t care about you; I'm number one.”

But what we want is good when our divinely-inspired preferences line up with God’s dreams. Our desires are holy when they match who the Lord made us to be.

Questions are powerful tools. May these three be helpful to you:

     What do you want?

    Will you change what you’ve been doing to get different results?

     Will you grow into who you want to be,
       or will you be content to remain who you are?

What are your thoughts?

David

No comments:

Post a Comment