Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

“The Declaration of Dependence”


238 Years and Counting
I began to write from memory. “When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another…shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.” Done!

Mr. Harris, my 7th grade history teacher, had our class learn the first few lines of the Declaration of Independence. He wanted us to appreciate how blessed we are to live in America. How many other countries have enjoyed freedom from foreign rule since 1776?

But We Aren’t Totally Free
Despite our numerous liberties, our government can't keep us free from pain and suffering. Our leaders can’t stop trouble such as accidents, cancer, and layoffs.

And that’s just the physical realm. We also face attack in the spiritual realm.

For example, 1 Peter 5:8 says, “Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

Yet There Is Hope
In 2 Kings 5, Naaman discovered the value of declaring his dependence on God. Commander of the army of Aram (Syria), Naaman had leprosy. His wife’s Israelite slave girl suggested he go see the prophet Elisha to be cured.

When Naaman arrived in Israel, Elisha sent word for him to go wash seven times in the Jordan and God would heal him. Anyone can claim to trust God. Naaman proved it when he walked to the river and stepped in.

He signed the declaration of dependence on God when he dipped in the Jordan seven times. Naaman’s leprosy remained the sixth time he stood. The seventh time he rose from the water, his skin was clean again like that of young boy. 

Like Naaman, may we find the hope and freedom that comes only from God. This week as you and I celebrate independence from foreign rule, may we renew our dependence on God’s sovereignty.

David

4 comments:

  1. Growing up overseas under the likes of Spain's dictator, Franco, and Morocco's corrupt king, I particularly give thanks for our freedoms. I pray we will protect it and, as Christians, pray for it's restoration to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experiences of living elsewhere where the freedoms we have don't exist as widely and readily. May God's people pray for restoration and guidance across our land.

      Delete
  2. I looked for a button to share on FB. Didn't find one so I copied the post address. I don't know how to add that, my web person did it for me. I'm sure someone can tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I curious what your screen looks like. My screen shows a row of icons in between my signature in green and the various labels (for search engine optimization). On that row of icons (to the left of my picture) is a lower case "f"; when my cursor hovers over, it says, "Share to Facebook." That's how I put it in the FB feed each week. I appreciate your willingness to help me reach as many readers as possible.

      Delete