Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

"When You’ve Lost Everything”


Difficult Questions
Have you ever lost everything?

Major setbacks can make us feel like we’ve lost it all. I find the more I dwell on what was taken away, the easier it is to overlook what remains.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 inspires a lot of questions at such times.


There is a time to uproot…
but when will it be
a time to plant again?

There is a time to tear down…
but when will it be
a time to build again?

There is a time to scatter stones…
but when will it be
a time to gather them again?

One Memorable Answer
A couple of years ago, I was in the car when I heard part of a Christian radio program. I didn’t catch the name of the host, so I can’t offer the proper credit. Yet as best as I can recall the conversation, I want to share the story with you.

After a severe downturn in his finances and his health, a despondent man told the host he’d lost everything.

“I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine how hard that must be. But have you also lost your character?”

“Lost my character? No. I still hold fast to my moral values.”

“I’m very glad to hear that. But have you also lost your faith?”

“Lost my faith? No. I still believe in God as much as ever.”

“Wonderful. But have you also lost your salvation?”

“Lost my salvation? No. I still trust my eternal destiny to Jesus.”

I could envision hope filling the hurting man as the radio host said, “You've suffered a great loss. I'm sorry about your pain.

However, you haven’t truly lost everything.

You still have your character.
You still have your faith.
You still have your salvation.

You haven't lost what matters most in life.”



The next time we believe we’ve lost everything, may these words of hope dramatically turn our outlook around.

Would you add anything else to this list? 

David

2 comments: