Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

“Six Lessons I Learned About Transitions”


Cardboard Boxes and Moving Trucks
I’ve moved a lot. Some of my forwarded mail had yellow stickers atop the yellow stickers. The last time I lived seven years in the same place, I was in grades 6-12.

I’ve packed and unpacked many times since high school: college; work; grad school; 17 years of United Methodist ministry where preachers are appointed to their church. My four pastoral appointments ranged from three to six years.

In 2012, God opened the door for me to leave church leadership to become a writer, speaker, and storyteller. Last year, my wife and I bought our first home. We’ll see if God lets us finish paying off our mortgage before we have to move again.

I hope my experiences will help those undergoing a transition this summer.

Five Lessons for Everyone Who Moves

1. As you unpack, it’s okay to grieve over saying goodbye to your old house, friends, job, church, and community. Also, deep disappointments and hurts from where you came may still need healing. You can’t turn grief off like a switch. Like a virus, it must run its course while you settle in to your new life.

2.  For some places, you’ll cry because you’re going there, then you’ll cry because you must leave. If you dread where you’re moving, there’s still hope: in time, you just might grow to love the place and the people.


3.  Look for the roses in your new community. You’ll meet people and experience blessings you would’ve missed out on otherwise.

4.  Accept that your new location will contain some thorns. Annoying people and undesirable situations exist everywhere. Heaven is the only perfect place.

5.  God will remain where you left. God will go with you as you travel. Best of all, God will be waiting to greet you when you arrive.

A Sixth Lesson for Pastors

Staying in touch as a friend is one thing; refusing to let go from afar is another. If you give 100% to your new church, you won’t have time to meddle at your old church.

Trust God and your successor to lead the ministry there. A good rule of thumb: return only when you are invited back for special occasions.

  
May God grant you strength, patience, and hope during your transition.

David

2 comments:

  1. These are so true, David. The only thing I would add is to try to be open to God's blessings.

    I grew up in the military and the first time I lived 4 years in the same place was at the Univ of Okla (Go Sooners!)

    As a kid, I learned to avoid close friendships because it hurt too much when we moved. I missed so many blessings because of that.

    In my married life, we've been pretty stable. I do confess, it's hard to leave a place you've lived in for 16 yrs. But I'm looking for God's blessings in my new home. I Know He has them here for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts. I went to the same school from grades 1-12, so I can't imagine having to say goodbye frequently throughout childhood and adolescence. It's hard enough to move when you're an adult. May you receive all God's blessings that He has for you in your new home.

      Delete