Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

“When God’s Love Wins”


Remembering Charleston, SC
Sunday afternoon, July 5, I encountered the kingdom of God in a special way. It happened at a Unity Service in Greeneville, TN.

I’m a native Charlestonian. I lived the first half of my life in the Palmetto state. Like you, I was saddened by the murders on June 17 at Emmanuel AME Church.
Nine African Americans spent an hour showing kindness to a Caucasian man at Bible study. Then, this visitor pulled out a gun and killed them.

Why? They had dark skin.

God’s Love Wins
Two and half weeks later, 300 miles away, I joined my community to focus on God's healing. Rev. Martha Moore Beamer, president of the Greeneville-Greene County Ministerial Association, spearheaded this special Unity Service. I also appreciate First Presbyterian for hosting this service while it rained hard.

A mixture of colors, ages, and churches united for a common purpose. Local county and municipal officials were in attendance. We came together to stand against any form of violence and hatred against another human being.

We worshiped God through Scripture, prayer, music, and message. The senseless deaths of our sisters and brothers in Christ pulled us together instead of pushing us apart.

The families of the victims exercised their legal right to confront Dylann Roof. I can’t imagine the horrific pain and sorrow they felt (and still feel). Yet, when they looked in the eyes of the accused, the young man heard words of forgiveness, not retaliation.

That day, the love of God celebrated a major victory.

When racial unity is achieved, God's love wins. The love of Jesus wins when:
unity triumphs over division,
  forgiveness overrides vengeace,
    life conquers death.

Different skin colors exist. But in Christ, we declared there is only one race. 

The human race.

When the Rev. Cecil Mills Jr. of Friendship Baptist Church passed by after the service ended, I touched his arm. “Rev. Mills, thank you for your words. I’m from Charleston, and this service really helped me.” He leaned over and we hugged.

Our skin colors are different, but he and I belong to the same race and family.

The human race.

The family of God.

No violent acts of fear and hatred can ever change that.

David

4 comments:

  1. How touching, David. My heart grieves with the nation as acts of hatred seem to be increasing. Only Jesus can remove the darkness in hearts and fill them with light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Sherry. We need Jesus now more than ever. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your excellent post, David. What Satan meant for evil, God is using for good and for the building and strengthening of His Kingdom. I firmly believe this horrific event will work together for good in many ways. It's wonderful you were able to attend that service. My husband and I would have loved to have been there ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Connie. The hour long service was a wonderful sign of what the Kingdom of God will one day be in perfect completion, for all time.

      Delete