Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Popcorn From God


Notes On My Church Bulletin
When an important idea enters my mind, I hurry to capture it before it vanishes.

I was born a note taker and a list maker. I’ve always written down stuff to help me remember. But at midlife my memory isn’t what it used to be, so I rely on notes and lists more than ever.

Each week I fill my bulletin with notes, sermon and personal. On Sunday during the offering I scribbled a thought: “The Lord’s prayer says, ‘Give us this day our daily bread.’ Like manna, each day God will give me what I need for my book.”

Who knew God would use my scribal tendencies to give me surprise?

Write Now
Sunday afternoon I finished reading the August issue of Christian Communicator. Erin Taylor Young wrote an article titled “My Complaint” (p. 18). In a letter to God, Young complains her writing career is going nowhere, but God just says, “Keep writing.”

I sat up straight when I neared the ending.

Don’t you see how much imagination those other writers have? They spew ideas like a popcorn factory on fire. And what do you give me? One kernel at a time.

I admit, You’ve never left me empty-handed, but must I daily reenact this dependency? I feel like an Israelite collecting manna.
  
Thank you, God. Message confirmed.

What’s Next?
I’m back to work on the manuscript I laid aside six months ago. In 2012 God called me to write this book, so I need to finish it.

I have no idea what the Lord will do with it when I’m done. My assignment is to write this book. His job is to handle the results.

On I press, one kernel at a time. Maybe someday I’ll be asked to submit a proposal or even sign a contract. For now, I will live like an Israelite collecting manna for my daily bread.

The Israelites didn’t get rich this way, but they never went hungry.

How is God leading you into greater dependence on Him?

David

6 comments:

  1. sigh. You read my mail today! And it confirms other things I've been reading. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mary. And I appreciate your post this week encouraging us not to get so focused on the destination that we miss the scenery along the way.

      Delete
  2. You've been reading my thoughts, David! I'm struggling with the one-kernel-at-a-time process, too. I'd prefer that the whole bowl rain down on me. Then, as I read this, I realized that my brain can't grasp the whole thing at once. God knows what He's doing when He chooses to go nice and slow. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I'm glad this was helpful for you. It's always good to know we aren't the only one who struggles with something.

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm not a writer, but I definitely need to be dependent on Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Marlene, we all need to be dependent on God. Writing is just one application of this principle in our lives.

      Delete