Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

“Did I Leave the Ministry?”


On December 3, 1991, God called me to attend seminary. Many people say that was the day God called me into the ministry.

On June 20, 2012, I left the pulpit for health reasons. I quit being the pastor of a church congregation.

But did I leave the ministry?


I will interview myself to explore this question. 


Q: The ministry has been on your mind a lot lately. Tell us about that.

A: Recently I met a man at church who asked, “Weren't you in the ministry?” It wasn’t an accusation or a judgment. He’d heard I used to be a preacher. He was verifying my background. When we meet someone, one of the first questions we ask is, “What do you do?”

That brief conversation bothered me because of my response: “I used to be.” The man then asked what I do now. “I’m a writer and speaker.”

I regret saying, “I used to be in the ministry.” I don’t like equating the ministry with the specific roles of pastor, chaplain, and missionary.


Q: But that’s how most people define the ministry. Why does it bother you?

A: The can be seen as “most important.” It implies the best service to God and others is performed by a select few specially trained folks like missionaries, chaplains, and pastors.

It implies being salt and light for Jesus in one's home, school, workplace, and community is inferior to the “real” service provided by church employees, usually in a church building.

This viewpoint downplays the vital role of godly parenting in the home. Two hours of Sunday school and worship won't instantly offset a lukewarm or pagan example set by Mom and Dad the other 166 hours a week. Christian values are "caught" far more than they are taught.


Q: Yet there is a difference in function between "clergy" and "laity."

A: There is a difference in function, but not in responsibility. Every Christian is called to serve in the kingdom of God.

In seminary I met a man who said, “I don’t work for the preacher. The preacher works for me.” Sadly, this mindset remains entrenched in many parishioners.

There is no “lay-clergy” distinction in the New Testament. Believers in the early church never said, “We pay Paul and Peter to run around serving on our behalf.” That’s why on the back of my bulletins, I always listed the staff like this:

Ministers: The congregation
Pastor: David Brannock


Q: So the Bible’s view of the ministry focuses on baptism, not ordination?

A: Absolutely. Baptism is every Christian’s official commissioning into ministry. If you are baptized and have made a public profession of faith, Jesus has called you into the ministry of all believers.

Ordination means “set apart” and not “set above.” Missionaries, chaplains, and pastors are called to a special role in the body. But whether your paychecks come from a church, a business, or the government, if you claim the name of Christian, you're expected to be on duty for Christ 24/7/365. 

Q: Are you saying we should be at church every time the doors are open?

A: Of course not. Actually, that’s part of the church’s problem. We spend so much time huddling up inside our little religious silos that we neglect to venture out into the world to be salt and light. No wonder the world largely ignores the church these days.

Christians are never off-duty from living out their faith. Of course we may rest, play, and travel. But those we encounter during the week shouldn’t be shocked that we claim to let Jesus run our life. They shouldn’t raise their eyebrows when they hear we worship God.


Q: Is that why you wish congregants would quit using the word volunteers?

A: Yes! I’m sick of the whiny excuse, “I’m just a volunteer.”

Too often it means, “I want to set the bar of expectation ankle high. I want you to accept whatever I give, whenever I give it, no matter how lousy my efforts may be. And since I don’t get paid like the staff, don’t even think about asking me to step outside my comfort zone.”


Q: What term should baptized Christians use instead?

A: Disciples. Jesus never used the term "volunteer." He called His followers disciples. And if it's good enough for Jesus...


Q: I have a hunch you have a lot more to say about the ministry.

A: Yes. I invite you to come back next week to continue the conversation.

Meanwhile, if you’d like to add your thoughtful ideas to the mix, please do so. The body of Christ needs one another because nobody has it all figured out. 

David

4 comments:

  1. I like this format of the Q/A. Makes it kind of fun to read.

    I'm not sure what you're saying about volunteers. I've talked with you before about my problem as a volunteer--trying to offer my willingness for service--and having been shot down by the leadership. I *would* give much more, if I was allowed.
    So, it makes me wonder if there's some "in THE ministry" that are perpetuating this line of distinction.

    I see this kind of push and pull in education. Teachers want parents to help, but also kind of tout their own expertise that parents shouldn't question. There's a similar dynamic among Pastors/Congregants. Probably other examples can be drawn from any kind of partnership relationship. It's hard to find a good balance of responsibility and appropriate expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you engaging in this conversation, Kim. You make an excellent point. The problem isn't always uncommitted and under-committed disciples. Professional gatekeepers / religious insiders contribute to the problem. I remember you telling me about trying to offer your time to the church but were turned away. Some preachers and some long-time church leaders contribute to this problem. If you're not in the "inner circle" then don't bother to offer your help.

      You are spot on: like in education or any other partnership relationship, it's hard to find a good balance of responsibility and appropriate expectations.

      Thanks for adding your perspectives to fill in the gaps and provide a more complete picture on this issue.

      Delete
    2. I do believe you are meant to write! You have hit the nail on the head about "the ministry"! Good "stuff".

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Marlene. I enjoy writing about issues I strongly believe in.

      Delete