Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

“The Memory of the Righteous”

The Century Mark
A 100th birthday is a rare blessing. I've been to several 90th birthday parties, but recently I attended my first party for a centenarian. Generations of family and scores of friends gathered to eat cake decorated with three numbers.

Living a century is a wonderful feat. To turn 100 with one’s mind intact and one’s body able to sit and greet well-wishers for two hours in a fellowship hall is an added bonus.

It's enough to offset the downside of living so long. I saw a cartoon where an old woman lamented her long life. “All my friends in heaven probably think I didn’t make it.”

Sunday afternoon I was invited back to the last church I served as a pastor. Kitty Knittel, a beloved member, celebrated her 100th birthday. Every time five friends left the drop-in, ten more arrived to take their place.

Mrs. Knittel is the epitome of grace. When it was my turn to shake Kitty's hand, I told her, “When I think of the word lady, I think of you.”

Proverbs 10:7 says (NRSV), “The memory of the righteous is a blessing, but the name of the wicked will rot.”

One guest at the party is 97 and another turns 97 next month. A third is almost 95. Several other friends are in their upper 80s or early 90s.

Collectively, the 12 oldest souls there represented over 1,000 years of faithful living for the Lord. What a witness.  

I saw firsthand that the memory of the righteous is a blessing. This holds true during life as well as after death. God’s favor let Mrs. Knittel experience the earthly reward of a life lived well for Christ.

In addition, my father Bill and my daughter Molly Kate both have birthdays this week. No matter which generation we belong to, the memory of the righteous is a blessing. Regardless of the numbers on our birthday cake, we are blessed to be a blessing.

Another Gift
In defeat, Desert Chapel High School in California blessed Beau Howell of Trinity Classical Academy. Trinity won the basketball championship 77-52. Surprisingly, the most dramatic part of that 25-point win happened in the last minute.

Beau Howell is autistic. In the previous games he played for Trinity Classical, he never scored. With his team leading 75-52 with a minute to go, Beau entered the game. Howell’s teammates threw him the ball twice, but he missed both shots. Desert Chapel rebounded with 30 seconds left and called time out.

Their coach had an idea.

Desert Chapel inbounded the ball and immediately passed it to Beau. Howell missed his shot. Desert Chapel rebounded and handed the ball back, but Beau missed again. Desert Chapel rebounded again and guided Howell closer to the basket. With time running out, Beau’s fifth shot went in.
The fans applauded for Beau Howell’s achievement, for Trinity Classical’s win, and for Desert Chapel’s display of true sportsmanship in the face of defeat.

Interestingly, D.C.'s mascot is an eagle. The Desert Chapel Eagles helped a young man with autism to soar. May their righteous act long be remembered.

David

2 comments:

  1. I saw this story on the news and was so blessed by it. We forget how many truly good kids there are out there.
    I have a 95 year old friend who lives next door to my house in Baytown. She is a precious believer and I'm blessed by her faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's refreshing when the news reports something positive for a change. Friends like your next door neighbor usually don't realize what an inspiration they are. Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete