Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

“Halfway to 100”


The Second Half Begins
I've always loved to write. As I celebrate reaching halfway to 100 today, God is on the verge of granting me one of the desires of my heart. 

To mark the occasion, this is the painted canvas for my soon-to-be-published book on Amazon. Choose: Fulfill Your Created Purpose is for high school graduates (paperback and Kindle).

A nautical theme flows throughout this 100-page book to honor my childhood in Charleston on the South Carolina coast.

Choose is the book I wish I'd read before I went to college 200 miles from home. I’m releasing it this fall hoping to reach some college freshmen, but especially high school seniors. Perhaps it will spark dialogue with their parents this year while they’re still under the family’s roof.

A Life of Its Own
Sometimes preachers deliver a sermon far different from the one they planned to write. As they prepare, the message takes on a life of its own and runs in a totally new direction. The Holy Spirit is full of pleasant surprises.

Likewise, Choose isn't the book I set out to type. My first manuscript functioned as a year’s worth of free therapy. The second book emerged after I started attending writer’s conferences to learn the craft properly.

Choose draws on my first two attempts, which served as valuable practice. “Failure” taught me more than instant success ever could have. “Failure” is failure only if we fail to try again. (That will preach!)

In the hands of God, nothing is ever wasted.
  
An Artistic Family
The Lord led me to two local young women who are incredibly gifted and happen to be cousins. I love working with both of them. 

Ariel Killian, a college student, painted the above canvas for my cover. Check out Ariel's site at http://leira-k.deviantart.com/gallery/

Chelsea Lowe, a designer and illustrator, formatted the front and back cover. Visit Chelsea's site at http://cmloweart.com; her Facebook "like" page is https://www.facebook.com/cmloweART
I can’t wait to see what God will choose to do during the next 50 years.

David

8 comments:

  1. David, Happy Birthday! That year's worth of free therapy has done you a world of good. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read your book! Put me down for one. After I read it, I'll pass it on to my HS Senior niece. Great post and CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Connie! God has done a mighty work in me to bring me to this point. I'll put the word out when the book is available.

      Delete
  2. "In the hands of God, nothing is ever wasted." Sounds like my favorite seminary professor, Roberta Bondi, who used to say, "in God's economy, nothing is ever wasted." I so believe this to be true. Thanks David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith. God has shown me time after time that the past can always be redeemed.

      Delete
  3. Congrats, David...and Happy Birthday! Yes, it's been a journey, for sure. Glad I could be on part of it with you...and look forward to reading the book!
    Blessings!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm glad you've been part of my journey, and will continue to be part of it. Thanks for your support and friendship.

      Delete
  4. I so enjoy this blog, David. The painting is beautiful. I especially love lighthouses. iI think of Jesus being our beacon to bring us to safe harbor. (And, by the by, you are now officially OVER THE HILL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlene, I'm thankful you like the blog. I love lighthouses too. And it'll be a fun ride down the other side of that hill. :-)

      Delete