Eagle

Eagle
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

“Who’s Got Your Back?”


A Real Dream
Years later, I still remember the dream.

A noise in the basement woke me. I flipped on the light at the top of the stairs and wiped sleep from my eyes. The old pine boards creaked with every step.

At the bottom I turned and saw a man.

The devil’s nondescript body lacked a red suit, pitchfork, pointy tale, sharp beard, and horns. But the evil oozing forth erased all doubts about his identity.

Satan spoke. I’ve forgotten his words, but I'm sure whatever he said was a lie.

The Good Shepherd
Behind me I felt a holy presence. I never saw Jesus, but knowing He had my back boosted my courage.

My voice rose as I told the enemy,
“Jesus is the good shepherd.
Jesus is the good shepherd.
Jesus is the good shepherd.”
After the third time, the devil left, and I awoke for real.

The truth of the gospel frees us from evil. Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (John 10:11).

Shepherds leave the flock at risk if they die. In isolated places, who would protect, rescue, and lead the sheep to food and water?

Yet, Jesus didn’t die in a failed attempt to defend us. He planned to die and rise again to prove His supremacy over sin and death. No other shepherd wields such power.

“No one takes [my life] from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father” (John 10:18).
         
War or peace, recession or recovery, rain or sunshine, He is always near.

If we stray, Jesus searches for us. If we run off to the far country like a prodigal child, He won't abandon us (Luke 15:1-32).

Not even in our dreams.

David

2 comments:

  1. Love the dream, David! Comforting ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. It was incredible to feel like I was really standing in between Satan and Jesus.

      Delete